This is a great homey recipe and is great all year round but also makes a great festive treat! You could even use a gingerbread man cutter with this mixture. They are simple to make and great fun to decorate, a perfect way to keep kids occupied over the school holidays :)
- 250g self raising flour
- 75g Brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp of ground ginger
- A fair sprinkle of ground mixed spice
- A few shavings of fresh nutmeg
- 25g lard
- 25g butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 a tbs of syrup mixed with about a 1 tbs of brown sugar
- Your choice of decoration e.g. glace/butter icing, decorative sprinkles etc.
- Pre-heat and oven to 180 C / gas 4.
- Sieve the flour, sugar, bicarb and spices into a mixing bowl.
- Put syrup and sugar mix with the lard and butter and gently heat until all melted together.
- Pour the melted mix into the flour and carefully mix together, if the mixture is sticky and moist add more flour until the mixture is dry (not too dry) and firm enough to kneed with your hands.
- Kneed and tease the dough together until smooth and well mixed.
- Flour a smooth surface and rolling pin, put the dough ball on this surface.
- Carefully roll out until the dough is about 2-3 mm thick (the biscuits Will rise substantially when baking)
- Taking a cookie cutter of your choice cut out biscuit shapes and place on a well greased baking sheet/tray.
- Bake for around 10 - 15 minutes until firm and a rich brown colour, these biscuits cook very quickly so make you you do not burn them.
- Leave the biscuits to cool an then decorate them as you wish. I personally like using barbie sprinkles with glace icing - childish yes, but very fun :L
Thanks for stopping by!